Course syllabus BMMD10115 - Sociology (FM - SS 2019/2020)
|Course unit code:|
Course unit title:
Planned learning activities and teaching methods:
|Recommended semester/trimester:||-- item not defined --|
|Level of study:||1.|
Prerequisites for registration:
|Conditions for completing the course:|
1. Systematic study of texts;
2. Successful completion of written exam.
Each student can receive a maximum of 100 points, with a less than 59 points earned if the student fails and the exam is not enrolled. The condition for obtaining the credit is passing the written exam. The individual steps to get the test will be evaluated as follows:
20% - attendance and activity / max. 20 points /
80% - written exam / max. 80 points /
Assessment of students with an individual study plan:
Students with IŠP have the possibility to omit a total of up to 75% of the lectures, so they have to be present on at least 3 lectures out of a total of 12. Students with IŠP can use the tutorials to be consulted beforehand in electronic form. The final exam must be completed by students with IŠP similar to others.
Students will be evaluated as follows:
100 - 91 points A
90 - 81 points B
80 - 73 points C
72 - 66 points D
65 - 60 points E
59 - 0 points FX
Learning outcomes of the course unit:
|The aim of the course is to familiarize students with the sociological view of various aspects of the functioning of society and to bring them closer to sociological imagination. The course deals with basic sociological concepts and brings students to the development of insights into some aspects of the functioning of public policy. At the same time, the course focuses on selected topics of applied sociology and offers an analysis of the concept of social problem and its inner life.|
The subject of the study of sociology and its mission
The emergence of sociology, the transition from traditional to modern society
Basic sociological paradigms
Social Statics and Social Dynamics in Sociology
Relation of theory and empiricism
• Sociological schools, trends, paradigms (1996). Prague: SÚ AV ČR and SLON.
• Šubrt, J. (2000). Characters and Problems of Contemporary Theoretical Sociology. Prague: ISV
• Gál, F. - Alan, J. (1987): Society in the Light of Sociology. Bratislava: Smena, ed. Auróra.
• Bauman, Z. (1996). Reflections on postmodern times. Prague: SLON
• Fromm, E. (1997). Anatomy of human destructivity.Praha: LN
• Mills, Ch.W. (1968). Sociological imagination. Prague: Mladá fronta
• Preisner, I. (1992). Americana (Chapters II and IV of Volume 1). Prague: Atlantis
• Nisbet, R. (1976): Sociology as an Art Form. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Structure as subject of sociology
Macroperspectives and microperspectives in sociology.
Society as Order (Parsons)
Society as Ideological Structure (Adorno)
Society as a small group (Homans)
Society as a Theater (Goffman)
Society as a Battle (Marx)
Society as Marketplace (Becker)
Society as an organized chaos (Beck)
• Goertzel, T.G. - Szymanski, A.J. 1979: Sociology: Class, Consciousness, and Contradictions. New York: D. Van Nostrand Company.
• Keller, Jan. 1997. Introduction to Sociology. Prague: SLON.
• Marada, R. (2004). Critical intellect and bourgeois science. Biograf, 2/2004.
• Bauman, Zygmunt. 1996. Think sociologically. Prague: SLON.
• Bell. Daniel. 1999. Cultural Controversies of Capitalism Prague: SLON
• Berger, Peter. L. and Luckmann, Thomas. 1999. Social construction of reality. Brno: CDK.
• Bourdieu, Pierre. 1998. Theory of action. Prague: Karolinum.
• Foucault, Michel. 2000. Watch and Punish. Prague: Dauphin.
• Giddens, A. 1998. Consequences of Modernity. AN ELEPHANT
• Giddens, Anthony. 1999. Sociology. Prague: Argo.
• Goffman, Erving. 1999. We all play the theater. Prague: Ypsilon.
• Habermas, Jürgen. 2000. Problems of Legitimacy in Late Capitalism. Prague: Philosophy.
• Murphy, Robert. F. 1998. Introduction to Cultural and Social Anthropology. Prague: SLON.
Sociology of organization and bureaucracy
Formal organizations and their development
Methods of cooperation in an organization
Characters of modern bureaucracy
Paradigms of Approaches to Organization Theory
Bureaucracy, power and politics
An alternative to bureaucracy
• Keller, J.1996. Sociology of bureaucracy and organization. Prague: Sociological publishing.
• Crozier, M.1967. The Bureaucratic Phenomenon. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.
• Goffman, E.1969. The Characteristics of Total Institutions In: Entzioni, A. A Sociological Reader on Complex Organization. New York: Holt, Rinhart and Winston, INC., Pp. 312-338.
Hummel, R.P.1977. The Bureaucratic Experience. New York: St.Martin's Press.
• Mannheim, K.1991. Ideology and utopia. (Cap. III. Is politics like science?). Bratislava: Archa.
Merton, R.K.1969. Bureaucratic structure and Personality. In: Entzioni, A .. A Sociological Reader on Complex Organization. New York: Holt, Rinhart and Winston, INC., Pp. 47-58.
• Page, E.1992. Political Authority and Bureaucratic Power. Harvester Wheatsheaf ,.
• Scott, .R.W.1995. Institutions and Organizations. London, New Delhi: Sage Publications.
• Selznik, P. 1969. Foundation of the theory of organization. In: Entzioni, A. A Sociological Reader on Complex Organization. New York: Holt, Rinhart and Winston, INC., Pp. 19-32.
• Silverman, D. 1970. The Theory of Organisations. London: Heinemann Educational Books Ltd.
• Weber, M.1997. Authority, Ethics and Society. Prague: Mladá fronta.
Social aspects of the division of labor
Anomy and the alienation of modern man
Third wave and transition to post-industrial society
Slovakia's transition to post-industrial society
• Friedmann, G. 1970. Dismissed work. Praha: Práce.
• Velšic, M. 2005. Digital literacy in Slovakia. Bratislava: Institute for Public Issues.
• Arendt, Hannah. 1999. Origin of Totalitarianism. Prague: OIKOYMENH.
• Coser, Lewis A., 1956. The Functions of Social Conflict. London: Free Press.
• Dahrendorf, Ralf. 1991. Class and Conflict Conflict in the Industrial Society. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press. (Part Two)
• Durkheim, Emile. 1969. The Division of Labor in Society. Toronto: Free Press. (Book One)
• Gasset, José Ortega Y. 199. The rebellion of the crowds. Prague: Our troops. (part 1)
• Giddens, Anthony. 1973. The Class Structure of Advanced Societies. New York: Harper Torchbooks. (Chapters 7, 10, 14 and 15)
• Habermas. Jürgen. 2000. The crisis of legitimacy in late capitalism. Prague: FILOSOFIA.
• Le Bon, Gustav. 1994. Psychology of the crowd. Prague: KRA.
• Rousseau, Jean Jacques. 1989. "Debate on the origin and causes of inequality among people" (in: Rousseau, Jean Jacques 1989: Debates, Prague: Svoboda, pp. 75-168)
• Tocqueville, Alexis de 1992. Democracy in America II. Prague: Lidové noviny. (pp. 1-198)
• Veblen, Thorsten. 1999. The theory of the dormant class. Prague: SLON
Social stratification of society
Differentiation criteria of the company
Shapes of stratification trees
Horizontal and vertical inequalities
Stratification in Slovakia after 1989
• Vašečka, I. 2003: Social stratification and company cohesion. In: Gál, F. - Mesežnikov, G. - Kollár, M .: Vision of the Development of the Slovak Republic by 2020. Bratislava: Institute for Public Issues.
• Matějů, P. 2000: Mid-term development and crystallization. In: Matějů, P. - Vlachová, K .: Inequality, Justice, Politics. Czech Republic 1991 - 1998. Praha: Sociologická nakladatelství.
• Katrňák, T. 2004: Are social classes definitively buried at the dawn of the twenty-first century? Class versus anti-class theory and analysis. Political Journal, 2/2004.
• Katrňák, T .: Class Analysis and Social Mobility. CDK, Brno 2005.
• Beck, U .: Risk Society: Towards Other Modernity. Slon, Prague 2004.
• Blackburn, R. M .; K. Prandy: "The Reproduction of Social Inequality." Sociology 31 (1997), 491-509.
• Breen, R. (Ed.): Social Mobility in Europe. Oxford University Press, Oxford 2004.
• Breen, R .; Rottman, D. B .: Class Stratification. A Comparative Perspective. Harvester, New York 1995.
• Breen, R .; Goldthorpe, J .: "Class, Mobility and Merit: The Experience of Two British Birth Cohorts." European Sociological Review 17 (2001), 81-101.
• Erikson, R .; J. H. Goldthorpe: The Constant Flux. A Study of Class Mobility in Industrial Societies. Clarendon Press, Oxford 1992.
• Featherman, D. L .: "Social Stratification and Mobility: Two Decades of Cumulative Social Science." American Behavioral Scientist 24 (1981), 364-385.
• Matějů, P. "Towards the Roots of the Social-Psychological Model of Social Stratification: Otis Dudley Duncan and William Hamilton Sewell." Sociological Magazine (2005).
• Sopóci, J., Búzik, B .: Theory of Social Stratification and Mobility. Bratislava: Faculty of Philosophy, Comenius University, 1999. Šanderová, J .: Social stratification. Problem, Selected Theory, Research. Karolinum, Prague 2000.
Sociology of Social Change and Globalization
The arrival of modernity
Post-industrialization and post-modernity
Factors of social change and class conflict
Processes of globalization: Changes in social and system integration
Social change in Slovakia after 1989
• Krejčí, J., 1993. Society in a Global Perspective. Prague: Sociological publishing.
• Krugman, P. 1995. Dutch Tulips and Emerging Markets. Foreign Affairs, July / August 1995.
• Buchta, S. 2003. Slovak countryside at the end of the twentieth century. In: Sociology 2/2003.
• Drop, Arjun. 1997. Modernity at Large. Cultural Dimension of Globalization. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
• Bauman, Zygmunt. 1999. Globalization. Prague: Mladá fronta.
• Cohen, Robin. and Kennedy, Paul. 2000. Global Sociology.London: Macmillan.
• Giddens, Anthony. 1998. Consequences of Modernity. Prague: Elephant.
• Hannerz, Ulf. 1996. Transnational Connections. London: Routledge.
• Harvey, David. 1990. The Postmodern Condition: An Inquiry into the Origins of Cultural Change, Oxford: Blackwell.
• Holton, J. Robert. 1998. Globalization and the Nation-State, London: Macmillan.
• Lash, Scott. and Urry, John. 1994. Economies of Sign and Space. London: Sage.
• Robertson, Ronald. 1992. Globalization.London: Sage.
• Sassen, Saskia. 1991. The Global City. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
Sociological Aspects of Unemployment
Unemployment as a structural problem of capitalist society
Types of unemployment
Stigmatization and changes in the personality of the unmarried
Ways of solving unemployment
• Mareš, P. 1998: Unemployment as a social problem. Prague: SLON.
• Brožová, D. 2003. The social context of the labor market. Prague: SLON.
• Katz, M.B .: The Undeserving Poor. From the War on Poverty to the War on Welfare. New York: Pantheon Books, 1989.
• Mareš, P .: Poverty, marginalization, social exclusion. In: Sociologický časopis, Roč. 36, 2000, No. 3, pp. 285-293.
• Merton, R.K .: Studies of Sociological Theory. Prague: Elephant, 2000.
• Zelmanová, L .: How do we cope with unemployment. In Social Policy, Year 18, 1992, No.1, p.12-13.
Sociological Aspects of Poverty and Social Exclusion
Conceptualisation of poverty
Poverty and the welfare state
Underclass, poverty and poverty culture
Social Exclusion and Social Inclusion
Ethnization of poverty
• Mareš, Petr. 1999. Sociology of inequality and poverty. Prague: SLON.
• Anker, H. - Audley, J. 2004: Reconciling Trade and Poverty Reduction. Washington: GMF.
• Shakarishvili, G. 2002: The poverty index. Budapest: LGI - OSI.
• Strapcová, K. (2005): Perceived inequalities and causes of poverty in Slovakia. In: Sociology, 5/2005.
• Alcock, Peter. 1993. Understanding Poverty. London: Macmillan.
• Bauman, Zygmunt. 2002. Liquid Modernity. Prague: Mladá fronta, p. 87-144
• Dahrendorf, Ralf. 1991. Modern social conflict. Essay on Freedom Policy. Bratislava: Archa. (Martinéz's paradox, pp. 41-50; Life Chance, pp. 50-56; Beginning of inequality, pp. 65-70; Conflict by class - Case of Definition: Poverty Classification, pp. 232-252).
• Foucalt, Michel. 1993. History of Insanity: The search for the historical roots of the concept of mental moods. Praha: Nakladatelství lidových novin. (Chapter 7: New division)
• Giddens, Anthony. 2001. Third Way. Restoration of Social Democracy. Prague: Mladá fronta (Chapter 4: State of Social Investment).
• Mares Petr. 2002. "Marginalization, Social Exclusion." Pp. 7-32 in Minority and Marginalized Groups in the Czech Republic ed. by Tomáš Sirovátka. Brno: Masaryk University.
• Murray, Charles. 1998. Too much good. American Social Policy 1950-1980. Prague: Elephant. (Chapter 4: Poverty, Chapter 14: Destruction of Status Remunerations, Chapter 15: What We Want to Achieve ?, Chapter 16: Limits of Assistance, Chapter 17: Choice of the Future)
• Offe Claus. 1996. Modernity and the State. East, West. Cambridge: Polity Press, pp. 147-179 (Democracy Against the Welfare State?).
• Večerník, Jiří. 1998. "Inequalities in Earnings, Income and Property of Households" Pp. 113-134 in Report on the Development of the Czech Society 1989-1998 ed by Jiří Večerník. Prague: Academia.
Social capital and sociological aspects of social inequality
Other types of human capital
Measurement of social capital
Empirical operationalization of the concept of social capital
Clientelism and social capital
• Dragos, S. - Leskocek, V. 2003: Social Inequality and Social Capital. Ljubljana: Peace Institute.
• Alexander, J. 1986: Structure, Action, Differentiation. Berkeley: University of California Press.
• Matějů, P. 2002: Social Capital? Problems of its conceptualization and measurement in transforming societies. London: OECD.
• Coleman, J. S. 1988. "Social Capital in the Creation of Human Capital." American Journal of Sociology 94: S95-S120.
• Healy, T. 2002. "The Measurement of Social Capital at International Level." Social Capital: The Challenge of International Measuremnet - Paper 2. London: OECD.
McLean, S.L., D.A. Schultz, M.B. Steger. 2002. Social Capital: Critical Perspectives on Community and "Bowling Alone". New York and London: New York University Press.
• Lin, N. 2002. Social Capital: A Theory of Social Structure and Action. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
• Portes, A., P. Landolt 1996. "Unsolved Mysteries. The Tocqueville Files II .: The Downside of Social Capital. "The American Prospect 26 (7): 18-21.
• Putnam, R.D. 2000. Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of the American Community. New York: Simon and Schuster.
Putnam, R. D. (ed.). 2002. Democracies in Flux: The Evolution of Social Capital in Contemporary Society. Oxford and New York. Oxford University Press.
• Raiser, M. et al. 2002. "Social Capital in Transition: A First Look at the Evidence." Czech Sociological Review 38 (6): 693-720.
• Woolcock, M. 1998. "Social Capital and Economic Development: Towards a Theoretical Synthesis and Policy Framework." Theory and Society 27: 151-208.
Social problems and social problems
Birth, life and death of a social problem
The difference between social and social problems
Social problems and political participation
Conditions for solving social problems
• Rubington, E. - Weinberg, M. 1995: The Study of Social Problems. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
• Frič, P .: Sociology of Social Problems in the USA. Sociology, 6, 1989, p. 534-548.
• Frič, P .: The term "social problem" and the general theory of social problems in American sociology. Sociology, 1, 1990, p. 29 - 44.
• Hirner, A .: Primary Data in Sociology, 1st ed., Bratislava, Nakladatelstvo Pravda 1974.
• Krivý, V .: Sociotechnika: possibilities and boundaries. Sociology, 4, 1988, p. 417 - 425.
• Lamser, V .: Fundamentals of Sociological Research., 1. vyd., Praha, Svoboda 1966. 353 s.
• Vašečka, I. - Vašečka, M .: The Origin and Development of Social Problems. In: Proceedings of the Faculty of Philosophy of the Brno University of Technology in Brno), Brno, 1995, Social sciences series G 37.
Family and individualisation of post-modern society
State, education, and family reproductive strategies
Transformation of privacy, intimacy and sexuality into a post-modern society
• Possible, I. 1988. The Family Between Nature and Culture. Prague: Obzor.
• Possible, I. 1991. Why so easily ... some family reasons for the Velvet Revolution. Prague: SLON, II. ed. 2000th
• Bútorová, Z. 1996: She and she in Slovakia. Women's eyebrows through the eyes of public opinion. Bratislava: FOCUS.
• de Singly, F. 1999. Sociology of the present family. Portal: Prague. Part III.
• Foucault, M. 1999. The History of Sexuality I. The Will to Knowledge. Hermann & Sons.
• Giddens, A., 1992. The Transformation of Intimacy. Sexuality, Love and Eroticism in Modern Societies. Cambridge: Polity Press.
• Herrenstein, R.J. - Murray, Ch. 1994. The Bell Curve: Intelligence and Class Structure in American Life. New York: Free Press. Chapters 1 and 2.
• Jamieson, L. 1998. Intimacy. Cambridge - Oxford: Polity Press.
• Jordan, B. - Redley, M. - James, S ,. 1994. Putting the Family First: Identities, Decisions, Citizenship. London: UCL Press.
• Shorter, E. 1975. The Making of the Modern Family. New York: Basic Books.
Social construction of reality
The Double Hermeneutics of Social Sciences
Schutz´s "obvious world"
Mass media and the design of our reality - "medium is a message"
• Keller, J. 1995: Twelve Mistakes of Sociology. Prague: SLON.
• Štětka, V. 2001: Media, national identity and cultural globalization. CDK: Brno.
• Anderson, B. 1991. Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism, London: Verso.
• Bell, D. 1999. Cultural contradictions of capitalism. Prague: SLON.
• Berger, P. - Luckmann, T. 1999. Social construction of reality. Brno: CDK.
• Bourdieu, P. 1998. Theory of Action. Prague: Karolinum.
• Foucault, M. 1997. Thinking externally. Prague: Hermann and the Sons, 1997.
• Goffman, E. 1999. We all play the theater. Prague: Ypsilon.
• Harvey, D. 1990. The Postmodern Condition: An Inquiry into the Origins of Cultural Change, Oxford: Blackwell.
• Hobsbawn, E. 1999. Nations and Nationalism. Brno: CDK.
Recommended or required reading:
Language of instruction:
|Assessed students in total: 443|
|Name of lecturer(s):||doc. PhDr. Michal Vašečka, Ph.D. (examiner, instructor, lecturer, person responsible for course)|
30. 3. 2020
|doc. PhDr. Michal Vašečka, Ph.D.|
Last modification made by Mgr. Jozef Sisák on 03/30/2020.